[Kde-pim] Unexplained error message from kmail

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Fri Aug 7 15:12:39 BST 2009

Hi,

On Thursday 06 August 2009 16:05:31 you wrote:
> On Thursday 06 August 2009 16:25:31 David Jarvie wrote:
> > Error sending email:
> > The server did not accept the sender address "John Smith
> > <jn.sm at epa.gov>". The server responded: "<John Smith <jn.sm at epa.gov>>:
> > "@" or "." expected after "Carey""
>
> Original text from the bug report:
> The server did not accept the sender address "Carey Fitzmaurice
> <xxx.xxx at xxx.xxx>".
> The server responded: "<Carey Fitzmaurice <xxx.xxx at xxx.xxx>>: "@" or "."
> expected after "Carey""
>
> I may be completely wrong, but it looks like the server expects an email
> address (a at b.c) and gets a pretty address instead (name with spaces
>  <a at b.c>).

That seems to be the case indeed.
SMTP expects something like "MAIL FROM <a at b.c>", and the pretty address
shouldn't be there.
No idea how that can happen at all, since KMSender::doSendMsg() calls
extractSenderToCCAndBcc() to get the From address, and that in turn calls
extractAddrSpecs( "From" ), which seems to work fine for me.

So sorry, I don't know what went wrong here.

Regards,
Thomas