[Kde-pim] Unexplained error message from kmail

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Aug 7 09:44:38 BST 2009

On Thu, August 6, 2009 3:56 pm, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Thu, August 6, 2009 3:09 pm, Tom Albers wrote:
>> At Thursday 06 August 2009 16:05, you wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> <jn.sm at epa.gov>".
>>> expected
>>>
>>> Original text from the bug report:
>>> The server did not accept the sender address "Carey Fitzmaurice
>>> <xxx.xxx at xxx.xxx>".
>>> The server responded: "<Carey Fitzmaurice <xxx.xxx at xxx.xxx>>: "@" or
>>> "."
>>> expected after "Carey""
>>>
>>> I may be completely wrong, but it looks like the server expects an
>>> email
>>> address (a at b.c) and gets a pretty address instead (name with spaces
>>> <a at b.c>).
>>>

>> The user has entered <Carey Fitzmaurice <xxx.xxx at xxx.xxx>> as address
>> probably, removing the outer <> should make it work. Where in the stack
>> it
>> gets added is another question.
>
> I'd be surprised if this is what is happening. The user has been using the
> identity containing that email address for a long time. Also, KAlarm
> normally sends mail using email addresses provided by kmail identities
> without problem. There seems to be something special about this user's
> particular configuration which is causing the error. Without knowing where
> in KMail the error is arising, it's difficult to know what's going wrong.

The reporter has just found the SMTP transaction after all. The SMTP
command which was in error, shown by Wireshark, was:

MAIL FROM:<Andrew Schulman <xxxx at xxxx.xxx.xxx>> SIZE=252\r\n

As far as I understand, only the actual email address should be included
in the MAIL FROM command, not the person's name. This would seem to
indicate a bug in either kmail or mailtransport.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.