[Kde-pim] KTimeChooser time editing widget

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Thu Aug 13 00:21:01 BST 2009

Hi,

a while ago I took up Allen's request to make KPIM::KTimeEdit ready for
kdelibs. I named the new one KTimeChooser as it seemed more appropriate. The
current outcome can be found here and needs a current trunk to compile
(r1006747, one week ago):
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/libs/ui/ktimewidgets

Please check if you're happy with it.

It contains an example application that shows the widget and allows you to
set its properties. The features are pretty similar to KPIM::KTimeEdit:
- Combox-box to choose time
- manual time-entry in locale-defined, "regular" 24h and military format
- automatic fixup on pressing enter or loosing focus
- display with or without seconds
- modify time using Up/Down, PgUp/PgDown
- missing so far: configurable intervals between the selectable times

The last feature mimicks KPIM::KTimeEdit's keyboard entry (Up/Down modifies
minutes, PgUp/PgDown modifies hours). I'd rather see it work like QTimeEdit
(Up/Down edits current cursor position, PgUp/PgDown is fast-forward on
current cursor position) but that's up for discussion.

I've already had a discussion with usability folks and apart from the hard-
coded intervals and Maciej not liking the combobox idea I had no complaints
(I didn't discuss the latter further as I like the combobox :-)).

There's also a KTimeEdit which uses the same validator and is more of a by-
product. Usability people weren't that happy with it so I currently don't
plan to push that one (too much work to implement their ideas and too little
time).

Regards,
Michael