[Kde-pim] Unexplained error message from kmail

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Aug 7 11:04:34 BST 2009

On Fri, August 7, 2009 9:59 am, Frank Thieme wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:44, David Jarvie<djarvie at kde.org> wrote:
>> The reporter has just found the SMTP transaction after all. The SMTP
>> command which was in error, shown by Wireshark, was:
>>
>> MAIL FROM:<Andrew Schulman <xxxx at xxxx.xxx.xxx>> SIZE=252\r\n
>>
>> As far as I understand, only the actual email address should be included
>> in the MAIL FROM command, not the person's name. This would seem to
>> indicate a bug in either kmail or mailtransport.
>
> As far as I understand, the only bug would be, that kmail thinks, that
> everything between < and > is an eMail address. I don't know the RFCs,
> but are < and > allowed in names?
>
> The user just has to change his identity from
>
> <Andrew Schulman <xxx at xxx.xxx>>
>
> into
>
> Andrew Schulman <xxx at xxx.xxx>

The user's identity is definitely already set to

Andrew Schulman <xxx at xxx.xxx>

He attached a screenshot of his KMail identity configuration. If that was
the problem, presumably the identity wouldn't work when composing and
sending emails from KMail either, but he's been using the identity for a
long time successfully.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.