[Kde-pim] KMail System Tray Idea

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Thu Apr 16 17:58:04 BST 2009

Hi,

On Thursday 16 April 2009 04:24:08 ComputerDruid wrote:
> Hi, this is my first list post, and my first real foray into KDE
> contribution.
>
> I was wondering about a feature for kmail's system tray Icon:
> I use gmail with IMAP, which has an "All Mail" folder as well as an "Inbox"
> folder, and when a new mail arrives, 2 unread messages show up, one in
> each. In the main kmail window there is the "favorite folders" section
> which shows the important bits (but allows me to move the messages to other
> folders, etc.). But in the system tray, it just shows up as a number. So in
> this case, the number shown is generally 2x the number of unread mails. So
> I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have an option where only
> favorite folders are counted towards this number. It isn't that hard to
> implement (I have a basic patch without configuration and stuff) would this
> be useful in other situations outside the gmail usecase? Is this worth
> including or is a feature that would only be useful to me?
>
> My first attempt at coding this up (this works, but isn't as configurable
> as I'd like):

The code is ok, but the concept is not: Many users have disabled favorite
folders and still want to see their unread count. I think the "act on
new/unread mail in this folder" setting is the way to go.

Another possible way would be to add a configure option, we still have some
place for that in the system tray config tab. Something like
() Show unread count of all folders (with tooltip explaining the "act on
   new/unread option)
() Show unread count of favorite folders
() Don't show unread count

Regards,
Thomas