[Kde-pim] KContactManager Name

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Fri Apr 24 12:51:40 BST 2009

At Friday 24 April 2009 13:15, you wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009 10:26:23 David Jarvie wrote:

> > > I agree. KAddressBook really is the best name for it although appending
> > > a '2' won't do because KAddressBook is currently at version 4.2 (since
> > > it follows the version number of KDE). Maybe append something like 'NG'
> > > or whatever.
> > >
> > > In fact, as application name (shown in the UI) "KDE Address Book" would
> > > be even better. Reasoning: We should try to get away from this
> > > K-namespacing of our applications. It's so last-century. Moreover,
> > > explicitely adding KDE to the application's name will improve the
> > > awareness of the KDE brand. FWIW, I'd like to see the same happen with
> > > KMail (-> KDE Mail), KOrganizer (-> KDE Calendar?), etc.
> >
> > The name should be descriptive, and kaddressbook (shown as "KDE Address
> > Book" in the menu) or kontacts (shown as "KDE Contacts") are the best
> > suggestions so far.
>
> +1

-1

The "KDE x" formats makes that particular application bound to that designation. If someone writes a better organizer like application, do we switch KDE Calendar to that new application? How does that work?

Mailody would become "KDE Mail 2" then I guess?

Besides, my mother would interpret KDE AddressBook as the addressbook with KDE people. She does not care about that prefix.

Although I know the KDE world is against me, I find the k prefix a strong brand. Just like iPod, iCalendar, iTunes, iMail, iPhone btw.

Toma