[Kde-pim] KContactManager Name

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 13:00:37 BST 2009

On Friday 24 April 2009 12:51:40 Tom Albers wrote:
> The "KDE x" formats makes that particular application bound to that
> designation. If someone writes a better organizer like application, do we
> switch KDE Calendar to that new application? How does that work?
>
> Mailody would become "KDE Mail 2" then I guess?
I'm not insulting Mailody, it's a good piece of software and does some stuff
better than KMail but I'd argue for the KDE "brand" that the whole concept of
having more then one application that is doing the same thing is damaging.

> Besides, my mother would interpret KDE AddressBook as the addressbook with
> KDE people. She does not care about that prefix.
I guess then the distros would ensure that your mother sees "Address Book" in
the menus for the application.

> Although I know the KDE world is against me, I find the k prefix a strong
> brand. Just like iPod, iCalendar, iTunes, iMail, iPhone btw.
It's a potential brand to existing users but I'm not sure that new people
easily understand it and we don't have the multimillion $CURRENCY advertising
budget to drive this brand forward for new users to make the association.

Mike Arthur
http://mikearthur.co.uk/