[Kde-pim] Using TimeZones in KDEPIM

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Tue Apr 21 18:18:39 BST 2009

On Tuesday 21 April 2009 18:50:29 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 April 2009 17:04, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Till and I were discussing timezones this morning and it became clear to
> > us that we no longer need to use KOrganizer as the "timezone setting app"
> > for all of KDEPIM -- we should be using the KDE system timezone for that
> > now.
> >
> > So here's a proposed plan that we think will solve this.
> > Let us know what you think about it.
> >
> > The Plan:
> > 1) Ignore the TimeZoneId setting in korganizerrc
> >    a) change KPimPrefs::timeSpec() to only look for your system timezone.
> >        (currently it looks for korganizerrc's TimeZoneId value first,
> > then the system timezone)
> >    b) change the timezone pref in korganizer (Settings->Time&Date)
> >         to modify the system timezone -- and no longer write TimeZoneId.
> >         with the appropriate to "do you really want to change the system
> >         timezone" confirmation dialog.
> > 2) Ensure all KDEPIM apps call KPimPrefs::timeSpec() when they want to
> > know
> >     the timezone.
>
> I'm not sure I really understand what you're proposing. AFAICS, what you
> are saying is that the system time zone should always be used as the main
> setting for PIM apps, and if a different time zone is selected in
> KOrganizer's settings, that should be set as the new system time zone
> (which would need the root password to change). If that's correct, then I
> don't see the need to use KPimPrefs::timeSpec() at all, since it will just
> return the system time zone which could more transparently be fetched by
> KSystemTimeZones::local().

The idea is to maintain KPimPrefs::timeSpec() as a backwards compatibility
API. We have quite a few users that we can grep for, but that might not catch
them all. It would stay around as a simple convenience wrapper around
KSystemTimeZones::local().

The alternative to making the korganizer setting work the way you summarize
and we propose is to remove it, but that would break the expectations of
upgrading users, who've grown used to going there to change the timezone. It
would also be hard to migrate their settings, I think, for those who currently
have an override timezone set in korganizer.

Another option is to make Korganizer's setting a pure view option, but then it
should not be used by the other pim apps at all, notably not by korgac, which
currently does use it, leading to all kinds of reminder mischief.

Till

--
Till Adam <adam at kde.org>