[Kde-pim] KMail System Tray Idea

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Apr 17 21:20:14 BST 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009, ComputerDruid wrote:

> I was originally planning to do something like this, although I got
> somewhat hung up on how to implement it (but I was planning to do
> this after feedback). This approach is still rather nice, and more
> transparent, but would duplicate the functionality. By now I'm not
> sure it's necessary, since the act on new/unread option seems to be
> more the right thing. It's just currently _very_ hidden. Is there
> some sane way to make this more obvious?
>
> > Don't put too much thought into KMail's system tray. I expect it to
> > be replaced in the near future by the already much more powerful
> > Lion Mail [1] or some other Plasma applet using Akonadi.
>
> As I see it, lionmail is a short way off as usable for that, but to
> have lionmail and kmail working together (eg both using akonadi)
> seems really far off. I'd like to see if we can't get something in
> before that happens. Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

KDE 4.3 is in soft feature freeze since yesterday [1] which means it's
too late to improve the system tray for KDE 4.3. And we hope to port
KMail to Akonadi for KDE 4.4. Yes, that's an ambitious goal. If we
manage to reach this goal then there won't be a "before that happens".

Anyway, I don't want to discourage you. By all means, if you want to
give it a try go ahead.

Regards,
Ingo

[1]