[Kde-pim] KMail System Tray Idea

ComputerDruid computerdruid at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 03:44:48 BST 2009

> > > Another possible way would be to add a configure option, we still
> > > have some place for that in the system tray config tab. Something
> > > like () Show unread count of all folders (with tooltip explaining
> > > the "act on new/unread option)
> > > () Show unread count of favorite folders
> > > () Don't show unread count

I was originally planning to do something like this, although I got somewhat
hung up on how to implement it (but I was planning to do this after feedback).
This approach is still rather nice, and more transparent, but would duplicate
the functionality. By now I'm not sure it's necessary, since the act on
new/unread option seems to be more the right thing. It's just currently _very_
hidden. Is there some sane way to make this more obvious?

> Don't put too much thought into KMail's system tray. I expect it to be
> replaced in the near future by the already much more powerful Lion Mail
> [1] or some other Plasma applet using Akonadi.
As I see it, lionmail is a short way off as usable for that, but to have
lionmail and kmail working together (eg both using akonadi) seems really far
off. I'd like to see if we can't get something in before that happens. Correct
me if I'm wrong, however.

Thanks for the great feedback though, it's really cool to get involved.

--
-ComputerDruid