[Kde-pim] akonadi and the mysql dependency

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Sep 9 10:53:13 BST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 10:24:12 Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:32:47AM -0700, Robert Taylor wrote:
> Hej Robert,
>
> > If anyone that is working on the PG end of things is looking for help,
> > maybe a quick email can flesh out where I am/not able to help.  Let me
> > know.
>
> Well, there are two things that prevent us from using PostgreSQL as default
> database:
>
>   1) It doesn't provide an embedded mode like sqlite or mysql does
> (although we can't use them, as they provide it in a bad way ;)), so
> PostgreSQL could do better here. However I already talked to two PostgreSQL
> developers and they do not have any plans to support that soon...
>
>   2) It doesn't provide a mode so that a normal user can start the database
> server with a custom data path. That's needed (and we use mysql currently
> that way) to provide an easy rollout, so that the user doesn't have to
> setup a database server manually just to read his emails...
>
> If one of these issues get fixed, there is no reason to not use postgresql
> instead.

I think those are only relevant for the default database, not for general
support. You would then need to use an external PostgreSQL server and
manually configure that, same as with an external MySQL server.

See http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#PostgreSQL_datastore_support
for the issues that have been identified so far. Most seem to be easily
fixable, except the lastInsertId() one.

regards
Volker