[Kde-pim] KMail License issues.

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Sep 17 22:42:05 BST 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 September 2008 18:52:45 David Jarvie wrote:
> > >
> > > By this you mean everybody who has made a commit once to that
> > > file? Or everybody who added a copyright statement (or some sort
> > > of) to the specific
> > > file?
>
> Somewhere in between. As David says, not every change is a
> copyrightable contribution. And there are a lot of people who should
> be in the copyright headers, but are not.
>
> > is obvious. So you only need to contact those who have contributed
> > in a meaningful way - although quite where the boundary lies is no
> > doubt an issue for lawyers :(
>
> [ade] : "I talk to lawyers so you don't have to."
>
> It's most effective to do an SVN log;
>
> for i in $FILES ; do
> 	svn log --xml svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdepim/$i | \
> 	grep '^<author>' | sed 's/<[^>]*>//g' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn
> done
>
> something like that will tell you authors and counts of
> contributions, so you know who to track down first. In general:

Unfortunately, it's not always that easy. Some files
(configuredialog_p.* come to mind) were created during refactoring by
moving code from other files. In this case the new files inherit the
license and (part of) the authors of the original files. Just one more
reason to always add all copyright information immediately to the file
headers instead of relying on the svn log.

Regards,
Ingo