[Kde-pim] KMail License issues.

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Wed Sep 17 14:16:51 BST 2008

Hi Bertjan,

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 11:02:02 Bertjan Broeksema wrote:
> As you may have seen I'm taking a stab at the krazy issues in KMail.

Again, thanks for that!

> One of the main issues are the licenses used (or not) in the code. To be
> more precise:
>
> -  55 files don't have a license at all
> - 157 files have an incompatible license with Qt or KDE.
>
> Besides that there are a whole bunch of copyright statements missing or
> having no email address.
>
> If you have any hint on what would be an appropriate approach to bring down
> this issues to a minimum please let me know.

Well, the only way to do that is to ask _all_ contributers to those files to
relicense the code to something GPL3-compatible. On
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_Relicensing, you can see who already
agreed to a relicense (for the record: Ingo Klöcker and Don Sanders also
agreed in private mail).
Tom had an excellent page on http://toma.kovoks.nl/kde/, showing exactly who
needed to agree to which license to be able to relicense a specific file.

So the only way to fix this is to track the people down and ask them for their
agreement wrt relicening.

Regards,
Thomas