[Kde-pim] akonadi and the mysql dependency

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Sep 6 14:00:49 BST 2008

Hi Robert,

On Saturday 06 September 2008, Robert Taylor wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I hope I have the right mailing list, if I don't please let me know.

This is currently the right list since our request for project infrastructure
such as a mailinglist on freedesktop.org is still pending.

> Thus a few questions to educate my self around what may or may not be going
> on.  If anyone would be kind enough to comment or answer the questions, it
> would be greatly appreciated:

As Brad already pointed out, these are mostly covered by our FAQ

> 1.  Is akonadi going to be treating the backend storage in a transparent
> way? By that I mean, while I may have performed harakiri tonight by
> installing 4.1.1 (soon to be rolled back, oh my god!), will akonadi in the
> future transparently (via a tranlation layer of some sort) be able to use
> other back ends?

To detail a bit what the FAQ has to say regarding this: Akonadi is using the
Qt SQL framework to access the database with a bit of engine specific code
which however is mostly generated at build time.

At the moment other options such as SQLite are not yet capable of delivering
all features the Akonadi server relies on and other which most likely do have
just not been tested enough to officially support them.

> If we need an rdbm i would rather use postgres, and if kde4 will eventually
> make it on to low power devices perhaps some other db backend would be more
> approriate.

Quite true, however due to rather limited resources development time wise we
currently prioritize parts of the software stack that have not been
implemented at all or only rudimentarily implemented yet.

This of course does not prohibit anyone else on working making exisiting code
more independent of specific implementations of external dependencies :)

> 2.  If no work is planned on allowing for non mysql backends, what can be
> done to help either kill the mysql idea or help provide some alternative db
> options?  Any thoughts and comments on how much work might providing the
> 'database bridge layer' turn out to be in terms of long term and cross
> platform maintenance?

There are probably better reference than this, but I found this one first:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=120674100000001&r=1&w=2

If you'd like to help on this front, e.g. test postgres based setups/patches,
I suggest you contact the developer who started that thread and see if you
can coordinate efforts.

We also have an IRC channel (#akonadi on the freenode network) if you prefer
more interactive discussion.

Cheers,
Kevin

Akonadi migration path developer