[Kde-pim] akonadi and the mysql dependency

Robert Taylor robtaylor at tinsputnik.com
Sat Sep 6 06:26:32 BST 2008

Hi!

I hope I have the right mailing list, if I don't please let me know.

Tonight I upgraded to 4.1.1 on my trusty kubuntu desktop and to my shock and
horror I see there is a mysql dependency!  Digging around a bit and with the
help of some really nice folks it seems that akonadi and a few other
components are now dependent on mysql.

Of course, this offends me on so many levels, I just don't know where to begin.
All I know is that there is no way on gods green earth that mysql will ever
touch any of my boxes, and we do run a sizeable amount of debian and ubuntu
out there.  I love the idea of akonadi and what it does, I get the requirement
for an rdbm of some sort, but for the love of Steve, mysql will never EVER
make it onto ANY of our machines.

Thus a few questions to educate my self around what may or may not be going
on.  If anyone would be kind enough to comment or answer the questions, it
would be greatly appreciated:

1.  Is akonadi going to be treating the backend storage in a transparent way?
By that I mean, while I may have performed harakiri tonight by installing
4.1.1 (soon to be rolled back, oh my god!), will akonadi in the future
transparently (via a tranlation layer of some sort) be able to use other back
ends?

If we need an rdbm i would rather use postgres, and if kde4 will eventually
make it on to low power devices perhaps some other db backend would be more
approriate.

2.  If no work is planned on allowing for non mysql backends, what can be done
to help either kill the mysql idea or help provide some alternative db
options?  Any thoughts and comments on how much work might providing the
'database bridge layer' turn out to be in terms of long term and cross
platform maintenance?

Please note: I am not trying to start a flame war - I would like to leave it at
just saying that we all have differing opinions on rdbms, they will never
converge and divergent requirements will always be the norm.  For some, mysql
will simply never be an option and recognizing that I am hoping that the
modularity of kde means that devs are actively extending that concept into the
backend storage for akonadi.

Thanks guys, I hope someone can shine some light on this for me.

- Robert