[Kde-pim] kmail soc branch

Szymon Stefanek pragma at kvirc.net
Mon Sep 15 00:14:06 BST 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008, Thomas McGuire wrote:

> I agree that the group headers are too large, I like the "simple skin" more
> than the "fancy skin". I also think both should be the same for consistency
> sake.

Hm. I was thinking that showing difference is somewhat showing "capabilities"
and inviting the user to play with it. The fancy skin, also, has larger
items and thus larger headers (IMO it looks a bit better, but i guess it's a
matter of taste).

> What bugs me more about group headers is that they are completely
> gray, that IMHO is a bit ugly and sticks out a lot.

Well.. the gray color is actually style-friendly: it's computed automatically
"somewhere between" the background and the foreground colors.

I think that this is the best default setting we can provide as it will look
good with all the styles/color themes (well.. except the completly senseless
ones).

Any other color combination has a certain probability of being hardly visible
or colliding with the selection color (which will then look very confusing).

Also gray is a quite neutral color. White header text on red background
is generally cool but will look ugly if the user has a blue theme, for
example...

> > Hm. This could be an interesting feature... I can add it, but it
> > will have the drawback of eating a lot of configuration space
> > (as for large folders there may be really many groups)...
> >
> > I guess we need a vote here too.
>
> Hmm, the open/closed state of threads is not saved either, probably by
> design. So, I'm unsure about this.

Yep. Too much stuff to save in fact: beside the storage it will also take
a lot of time for large folders...

--

Szymon Stefanek

-
- A red sign of the door of a physics professor:
- if this sign is blue you're going too fast
-