[Kde-pim] Introducing kReMail

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Sep 2 11:17:58 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 23:19:16 PM +0100, Thomas Gillespie wrote:
> On Monday 01 September 2008 22:17:37 M. Fioretti wrote:
> > Interesting app! May I ask why store the scanned texts in Akonadi?
>
> Thanks :-). Once they're in Akonadi as emails they can be handled by
> your usual mail client (e.g. mailody) and treated just the same as
> any other email. Think of it as unifying your electronic and
> paper-based mails. Also they can be exposed to all the other kde
> goodies, like Nepomuk.

the sense of the question is that there are many documents one may
want to scan and index that are not mail of any kind, that is things
one may find much more natural/intuitive to store and see inside a
file manager, not a mail client (magazine clips, contracts, what
else?). I'm not criticizing your work, mind you, just thinking out
loud about how and which of *my* paper documents I would like to save
as (e) mail, and what to do with the others.

Let's suggest this then as food for thought: could your app be
modified to have also a "file manager" mode, that is have it scan,
ocr, save original and text version together in one disk folder, all
with one command? Would it make sense as an _addition_ / enhancement
to what you're doing?

	Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84