[Kde-pim] Homapage verry out of date - where to get information?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Sep 18 20:06:07 BST 2008

Replying to myself...

On Thursday 18 September 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > What we really want is a webmaster who follows the development as
> > it happens (e.g. on this list or on the IRC channel) and who
> > handles updating the website when there are interesting things to
> > change. Tying in to the KDE.org website upgrade (away from
> > websites-in-svn) would also be good.
> >
> > We have a critical shortage of developers as it is; spending a few
> > hours on the website -- which is something most of us developers
> > are *not* good at -- does not feel like a productive investment of
> > time. It's an uncomfortable trade off, because at the same time we
> > need to attract a webmaster (see above) who wants to push the sites
> > back into the 21st century.
>
> Note, that we will transfer most if not all of the contents of the
> kontact.kde.org to userbase.kde.org (a wiki). Anne has already
> transferred some of the contents. This will make it much easier to
> keep the pages up-to-date because anybody will be able to help.
>
> FWIW, we have tried to find a webmaster for many years and even
> though from time to time someone willing to help popped up, soon
> afterwards he vanished again probably because he got frustrated about
> getting no input from us, the developers. I'm putting all my hopes
> into userbase.kde.org now.

After re-reading Anne's message I see that she only planned to add a
short introduction for each component of Kontact to userbase.kde.org
[1] linking to http://kontact.kde.org/ for further info. I don't think
this approach is a good idea because it means there would be two places
that needed to be updated and kept in sync. I'm much more in favor of
Thorsten's suggestion [2]. So, Anne's work is just the first step.

Regards,
Ingo

[1] http://userbase.kde.org/Applications/Office#Kontact
[2] http://kde.markmail.org/message/vn5ltg2732gtijxq