[Kde-pim] akonadi and the mysql dependency

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Tue Sep 9 09:24:12 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:32:47AM -0700, Robert Taylor wrote:
Hej Robert,

> If anyone that is working on the PG end of things is looking for help, maybe a
> quick email can flesh out where I am/not able to help.  Let me know.
Well, there are two things that prevent us from using PostgreSQL as default database:

  1) It doesn't provide an embedded mode like sqlite or mysql does (although we can't
     use them, as they provide it in a bad way ;)), so PostgreSQL could do better here.
     However I already talked to two PostgreSQL developers and they do not have any
     plans to support that soon...

  2) It doesn't provide a mode so that a normal user can start the database server
     with a custom data path. That's needed (and we use mysql currently that way) to
     provide an easy rollout, so that the user doesn't have to setup a database server
     manually just to read his emails...

If one of these issues get fixed, there is no reason to not use postgresql instead.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!