[Kde-pim] KMail Usability Issues

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Tue Nov 11 17:09:03 GMT 2008

> On Monday 10 November 2008, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
>> * what is the difference between a normal-filter and a pop-filter?
>
> POP filters are applied before a message is downloaded from a POP
> account. This way one can get rid of spam without downloading the whole
> spam message.
>
> Normal filters are applied to new messages in the IMAP inbox resp. to
> messages downloaded from a POP account (after the download of the full
> message) or a local mailbox.
>

>> I think I know it though I think this extra menu-entry does no good
>
> What do you propose instead?

Aah yes I've been annoyed by this as well.

My proposal: Merge the two filter options. Change the filtering so that the filters that
CAN act on a message without downloading it will do that first. This might also benefit
IMAP filtering in some situations.

>> * wth are "Sieve"-scripts? there is no information provided there
>> what that could mean, no help-button or whatever
>
> If you don't know, don't bother. What do you propose? Hide everything
> some users might not know?

I agree with Matthias that there should be some (minimal) documentation.
A while back I did some googling, but found not much end-user ready information.

grtz,
Sander