[Kde-pim] user css controlled mail appereance... reload.

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Nov 11 21:10:26 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008, klebezettel at gmx.net wrote:
> [...]
>
> First I had the same approach like you reading external html/css
> code. If you want to use the html/css-approach you have to ask
> yourself how you would handle mails that does not come with all the
> header data we assume (since the template should handle all of them).
> Of course, most mails haeve Subject/From/To/Date data (but not
> all?!). Some have additional CC/BCC/Attachments data. Now, reading
> one html/css template file is therefore too static. You would have to
> split the actual template into several files. Or the (one) template
> file would have some extra structure with markers that you would have
> to parse...I think this is possible, although not that nice.
>
> So this was about HTML/CSS Templates. Using only CSS templates (the
> HTML would be some divs/spans in the c++ code) has some limitations?
> At least I wasn't successful in trying to change the order of the
> header elements (say, first showing the from data, below it the
> subject and then the to-part). Maybe that are just my css skills that
> are limited ;) Well, actually I changed the order with css (using
> float/width/margin elements), but all the distances where static and
> led to problems (especially dealing with long lines that wrap "into"
> the next line). But if you say it's possible to change the order of
> the elements (for long lines/texts, for increased font size etc...)
> just by using css, that would be just cool :) Hmm, but then again -
> can we change everything just by css? What about some javascript
> stuff? As one metion in the mailing list before, it would be cool if
> we could collapse the header to a one-liner like in thunderbird and
> things like that...
>
> My next idea was to use a more generic method for creating the
> headers. Imagine KMail creates a xml file in memory for the header of
> the mail we want to view. The file consist of all the header elements
> that are available in the  mail and is therefore the
> representation/description of the header in xml - it describes only
> the content. Now we want to put this nicely into html/css for the
> user. We can use an xsltprocessor that uses an *.xsl file (our
> stylesheet/template) to transform the xml into a nice html/css
> representation. Since we can match some xml elements and attributes
> (in the *.xsl file) we have no problems with extra elements. IMHO
> that would be the cleanest way. We separate content from style and
> everything seems to be possible (since we can use html/css/javascript
> and what not in the *.xsl file). I implemented this with libxlst (
> http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/ , a C library which I wrapped into a class -
> but hey, maybe someone else is already using an xsltprocessor library
> in the kde project?). I was close at having working stylesheet files
> (*.xsl) for the current header styles (plain, fancy, enterprise...).
> But then I had no time to work further on this and lost the code :/
> Although it's the cleanest way, it's somehow a little bit overkill

Yes, it sounds like overkill to create XML just to convert it to HTML
with an XSLT processor. OTOH, if we'd go another route we'd have to
re-invent parts of XML+XSLT which doesn't sound like a sensible idea.
So if any of you wants to give this approach a try... I think it's
definitely worth checking out whether it's a feasible approach
performance- and memory-consumption-wise.

> It would make more sense if we would
> represent the whole mail in xml. Doing this we could "export" a mail
> into anything (not just html/css) just by creating stylesheet
> files...

..., e.g. we could export to LaTeX and then with pdflatex to PDF. We'll
have printed email messages of the highest quality ever. ;-) I'm
half-joking and half-serious.

FWIW: http://englich.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/xsl-t-and-qt/

Regards,
Ingo