[Kde-pim] user css controlled mail appereance... reload.

klebezettel at gmx.net klebezettel at gmx.net
Tue Nov 11 19:37:42 GMT 2008

On Sunday 09 November 2008 21:22:22 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Hi,
> i brought up this suggestion around 1 1/2 years ago, then some nasty
> things happened and i withdraw and kept the patch just for myself
> since then.
>
> I however kept it rather simple to avoid running into failing svn
> merges, so it's made up quite close around my needs (i.e. reads and
> adds a css from a hardcoded path. i'd rather offer a combobox
> managing various styles. only changed libkdepim/csshelper.*)
>
> Attached is a Screenshot. (just "fancy" header + some css)
>
> So if you're still interested, i'd extend the patch (user interface;
> and i'd like to change the used html code a bit - imho we could
> include the header html (inside div.header) from an external file if
> present - allowing easy reordering of items - and implement the
> currrently available headers as hardcoded special case (and fallback)
> on the general approach. at least the table lable should be replaced)
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Hiya Thomas!

First I had the same approach like you reading external html/css code.
If you want to use the html/css-approach you have to ask yourself how
you would handle mails that does not come with all the header data we
assume (since the template should handle all of them). Of course, most
mails haeve Subject/From/To/Date data (but not all?!). Some have
additional CC/BCC/Attachments data. Now, reading one html/css template
file is therefore too static. You would have to split the actual
template into several files. Or the (one) template file would have some
extra structure with markers that you would have to parse...I think
this is possible, although not that nice.

So this was about HTML/CSS Templates. Using only CSS templates (the HTML
would be some divs/spans in the c++ code) has some limitations? At
least I wasn't successful in trying to change the order of the header
elements (say, first showing the from data, below it the subject and
then the to-part). Maybe that are just my css skills that are
limited ;) Well, actually I changed the order with css (using
float/width/margin elements), but all the distances where static and
led to problems (especially dealing with long lines that wrap "into"
the next line). But if you say it's possible to change the order of the
elements (for long lines/texts, for increased font size etc...) just by
using css, that would be just cool :) Hmm, but then again - can we
change everything just by css? What about some javascript stuff? As one
metion in the mailing list before, it would be cool if we could
collapse the header to a one-liner like in thunderbird and things like
that...

My next idea was to use a more generic method for creating the headers.
Imagine KMail creates a xml file in memory for the header of the mail
we want to view. The file consist of all the header elements that are
available in the  mail and is therefore the representation/description
of the header in xml - it describes only the content. Now we want to
put this nicely into html/css for the user. We can use an xsltprocessor
that uses an *.xsl file (our stylesheet/template) to transform the xml
into a nice html/css representation. Since we can match some xml
elements and attributes (in the *.xsl file) we have no problems with
extra elements. IMHO that would be the cleanest way. We separate
content from style and everything seems to be possible (since we can
use html/css/javascript and what not in the *.xsl file). I implemented
this with libxlst ( http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/ , a C library which I
wrapped into a class - but hey, maybe someone else is already using an
xsltprocessor library in the kde project?). I was close at having
working stylesheet files (*.xsl) for the current header styles (plain,
fancy, enterprise...). But then I had no time to work further on this
and lost the code :/ Although it's the cleanest way, it's somehow a
little bit overkill using a xsltprocessor?! It would make more sense if
we would represent the whole mail in xml. Doing this we could "export"
a mail into anything (not just html/css) just by creating stylesheet
files...

Please describe your html/css approach detailed. What do think you about
the xml/xlst stuff?

Regards,
	Klebezettel :)