[Kde-pim] Improving the address-book

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Nov 29 11:31:40 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:

> Not directly about Kaddressbook, but about how addresses are handled....
> Any plans on turning addresses in Kmail in to "objects", like in MacOS's
> mail.app? I have always liked that particular feature. What it means that
> you can drag the recipients around, and if the recipient has more than one
> address, you could easily select which oh his address yo would use. Also,
> addresses could be flagged so that if you try to send a mail both inside
> and outside your organisations, Kmail would notify you of it, just to make
> sure you don't mail sensitive information to outside.

The address book entries, i.e. contacts, are already objects in terms of KDE's
address book API.
It should be possible to use the full vcard as one of the offers[1] in drag
and drop operations.
With Akonadi this gets even a bit easier since an address book entry can be
identified by its Akonadi URI.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] D&D operations basically work like this: the application which is the
source of the drag advertises which data formats it can use for the data that
is being dragged. The target application then selects one and receives the
data in that seleced format.
A target application could therefore opt to receive the full entry if it is
capable of parsing vcard or in the Akonadi case get the full data from there.

KDE user support, developer mentoring