[Kde-pim] Korganizer: The Next Generation

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Thu Nov 27 20:44:37 GMT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 27. November 2008 schrieb Janne Ojaniemi:
> Calendar in KDE4 looks like this:
> http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/kde41-2.png
>
> There are five windows inside the app all shouting for the users attention.
> The actual calendar (the most important part of.... well, calendar) has
> only about 25% of the window to itself. And the various windows are not
> aligned with each other, making the UI look "messy". There are also
> confusing things, like "Default Korganizer resource" that is listed twice
> (and both being checked by default). Just by looking at it, the user have
> no idea what those "resources" are (apparently they are different
> calendars, but shouldn't they be called calendars then, and not
> "resources"?). If you actually enter a calendar-entry, it gets added twice
> to the calendar (since the two "default resources" are both checked by
> default).
>
> How would I go about fixing all that? Well, here is my mockup:
>
> http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8137/calendar3oq3.png

Hello Janne,

I had a look at the mockup, it reminds me a bit to Sunbird/Lightning. ;-)

Well, I don't want to go too much in the details ATM, but I want to bring
another aspect to your attention. I think the UI of an application must be
rated depending on varying use cases.

I'm using KOrganizer (Kontact ) for several years and I'm forced to use
Thunderbird+Lightning and MS Outlook in parallel. Fortunately I can have the
same data in them because our company uses a Kolab server.

Kontact provides by far the best interface out of these three applications. It
allows quick stepping throw the "calendar" (the calendar widget in the upper
left corner which controls the timeframe for the view on the right  side),
having a quick look at the details of an event (not only as popup - in the
middle left side), fast switching between calendars and a reasonable view
(using week view most of the time).
The best of KOrganizer is IMHO to have all of them available, this avoids
switching between different views. It saves time, and that's what's important
when you have a job.

If I had only one calendar, I'd know how to hide the list of calendars.
Perhaps that's something to be addressed. But if people don't have a look at
the menu options...

While I agree that a home user might be overwhelmed by all the views, I'm
quite sure that a lot of people in companies like the KOrganizer interface.
Please take also the corporate users into account if you are going to discuss
changes in the user interface.

Best regards,
Andreas
--