[Kde-pim] opensync plugin for KDEPIM4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:29:45 GMT 2008

2008/11/17 Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper <vr at movingparts.net>:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Stefan Kebekus <stefan.kebekus at web.de>wrote:
>
>> Dear kde pim developers,
>>

> Hi Stefan! =:)
>
> I desparately need to synchronize my KDE4 PIM data with my Palm handheld.
>> Since no solution seems to exist, I am planning to write a KDE4 plugin for
>> the
>> opensync synchronization framework (which so far has worked best for me).
>> Before starting, I would like to ask a few questions though:
>>
>> a) Does this plan make any sense at all, or does the KDE community have
>> other
>> plans, e.g. to support another synchronization framework or to include Palm
>> synchronization into akonadi?
>>

> KPilot has been ported to KDE4 and will be released with KDE 4.2 in January,
> barring any unforeseen total breakdown. We've ported the ToDo, Calendar, and
> Contacts KPilot conduits to use Akonadi backends only and made a bunch of
> changes and improvements to our KPilot syncing algorithms and code quality.
> We even have a Keyring conduit that may still see the light of day! The
> memofile conduit remains largely unchanged, although I'm still in the middle
> of porting it over to our new base conduit infrastructure, but it still
> syncs your Memos with a directory and files on your hard drive perfectly.
>
> Anyway, we haven't had much (read: any) in the way of user testing, but from
> our unit tests and cursory testing, things are looking good. I'd love your
> help in testing (and, should you be able to, fixing!!) the Palm<-->KDE 4.2
> PIM syncing solution we have in KPilot right now. =:) One word of warning
> that should apply to anything new you do with your data, though: make good
> backups of your Palm databases and your PC data sources. We've tried to
> bullet-proof KPilot in 4.2 as much as possible to not allow it to eat your
> data for lunch, but you can never be careful enough.
>

>> b) How do I access the KDE PIM data? Should I be using the kdepim libraries
>> or
>> should I rather use akonadi directly?
>>

> You can see how we did this in KPilot in kdepim/kpilot/conduits/akonadibase
> and the contacts, calendar, and todo conduits. But again, I'd really love to
> have your help in polishing up and ironing out anything you see that doesn't
> look/act right!
>
> c) Will the API and will the data access methods change between KDE 4.1.x
>> and
>> KDE 4.2 or will I be able to write one piece of code that works throughout
>> the
>> KDE4 series?
>>

> Others can speak to this better than I, but afaik, KDE 4.2 PIM will not be
> using pure Akonadi interfaces, but there will be a translation layer
> underneath what it does use and Akonadi. I am not sure when this will
> change, but iiuc, the KPilot code that we have for syncing your Palm with
> Akonadi shouldn't need to change much across the KDE4 series.

> [...]

If the OP (Stefan) writes an Opensync plugin, wouldn't that benefit
users of all technologies that want to sync with KDE-PIM? One of the
things that will prevent me from moving to KDE4 is the inability to
sync KDE-PIM with my Nokia phone (Symbian OS). If there is an Opensync
plugin then I could move to KDE4.

I would be glad to help test an Opensync plugin for KDE-PIM in KDE4. I
specifically sync contacts and calendar, but I could create dummy
notes and other items for testing purposes.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il