[Kde-pim] Working 2-way sync between KDE PIM and PDA / Phone?

tic tic at tictric.net
Sun Nov 30 14:03:26 GMT 2008

Am Sonntag, 30. November 2008 12:34:29 schrieb Gunter Ohrner:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry if this is an FAQ, I could not find any definitive information about
> this topics current state so far. I'm happy about any pointers to
> relevant documentation. I also already wrote to -users@ but got no
> positive reply.
>
> My WristPDA died and I'm currently looking for a new PDA or Smartphone.
>
> I'm absolutely willing to choose my new device depending on how it works
> together with KDE PIM.
>
> Is there any device (or, even better, sync protocol) out there which
> allows flawless bidirectional syncs of at least addresses and schedules?
>
> In general the information I found (mainly on mailing lists) was not too
> promising. :-(
>
> I read that OpenSYNC will not be ready in time for KDE 4.2. Does this
> effectively mean that there currently is no reliable sync solution and
> there won't be for KDE 4.2? I also read that kpilot may be in shape for
> KDE 4.2, so currently KDE 4.1 also cannot sync with Palms, but KDE 4.2
> might?

Gunther,
I've been syncing my Treo for the last 3 years at least with KPilot and had
(almost) no problems. I admit, sometimes it's a bit touchy but syncing address
book and organizer works good enough for me.

The biggest problem I experience when I try to sync the phone with a second
computer. Then it messed things up last time I tried (backups can be helpful).
And syncing Notes also doesn't work on my setup so I disabled it.
Unfortunately I just don't have enough time to look into that problem close
enough to bring in a useful bug report.

The biggest problem here is actually that PalmOne is trying very hard to go
bankrupt as soon as possible. And they are doing a good job in this regard.
Therefore I'm hoping that some other device that suits my needs'll ascend
somewhere on the horizon rather sooner then later. Maybe from Nokia?

Manfred
tictric at jabber.ccc.de