[Kde-pim] Akonadi D-Bus interface renaming: remaining issues

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue May 13 12:30:45 BST 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Till Adam wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2008 17:09:25 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > earlier this week I renamed our (Akonadi's) D-Bus interfaces from org.kde
> > to org.freedesktop namespace to avoid anybody seeing that as a KDE
> > dependency.
> >
> > While doing that I encountered the one currently used between server and
> > tray: org.freedesktop.akonaditray
> >
> > For those not following the development that closely, this basically
> > allows the server, resources and agents to get some parent window when
> > they need to open a window/dialog or to send notifications to.
> >
> > The current implementation is a system tray application
> > (kdepim/akonadi/tray) since this is known to work on all desktop
> > environments.
> >
> > However, a system tray is a specific implementation of this service, e.g.
> > others might want to implement it as a Plasmoid or GNOME panel applet, so
> > I'd prefer to have a more generic name for the service and its interface.
> >
> > Therefore I'd like to ask for suggestions, probably something like
> > org.freedesktop.Akonadi.UserInterface
> > or
> > org.freedesktop.Akonadi.WindowPeer
>
> WindowContext?

I like this.

In a comment to my blog about this topic, Aaron suggested to use
org.freedesktop.Akonadi.VisualNotifications since there are people working on
a fdo spec using a similar name and we could probably switch to this once
there are implementations available.

So maybe we should split the two problem domains, i.e. one interface for the
window context and one for the notifications and let the tray app implement
both.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring