[Kde-pim] Start of a Kontact::Plugin for KJots

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sun May 18 13:24:22 BST 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008 05:09:50 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Now that KJots is in kdepim, I'd like some more information on what I need
> to do to get the Kontact Plugin functional.
>
> The problems are:
> 1) using KStandardDirs::locate("appdata" ...) seems to use 'kontact' as the
> app name rather than 'kjots', so it looks in the wrong location for kjots
> files when attempting to load while running in kontact.

Try using "kjots" instead of "KJots" in the creator as the Plugin ctor passes
that string to KGlobal::locale()->insertCatalog();

> 2) KJots should have only one instance running. Currently another instance
> of it is started if the plugin is selected in kontact. The behaviour should
> be the same as that of akregator. Don't start a new instance if it's
> already running standalone.

That should be done using UniqueApp stuff.
It looks like you started adding this to the kjots plugin
but you have the code commented-out.

> So:
> Do I need to write a dbus interface for kjots to solve these issues? As I
> currently know zero about what dbus even is, I don't want to start doing
> that unless it will actually solve these issues and is the only way.
>
> If not dbus is there something else I'm missing from looking at the other
> plugins that's making kjots look in the wrong location for books?

Shouldn't need dbus unless/until you want other apps to be able to
communicate with kjots.