[Kde-pim] KMail and multiple KMMainWidgets

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue May 27 22:42:58 BST 2008

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Szymon Stefanek wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'd like to gather some information and opinions about the KMail
> multiple main windows feature ("Message"->"New Main Window" in the
> main menu).
>
> Actually some parts of KMail do coherently support multiple
> KMMainWidget instances while other code snippets hopelessly just pick
> up a random one.
>
> The big question is now the future policy. Should we head towards
> porting everything to multiple toplevel widgets or we're allowed to
> highly optimize things by removing the support at all ?
>
> So I'd like you to answer the following questions:
>
> - Are you aware of anyone that is really using the multiple main
> windows ?

Yes, me. I'm using it for looking something up in another folder while
reading the new (!!!, not unread!) messages my inbox.

> - Are you aware of any tecnical reasons for that there _must_ be
> multiple main window support ?

I'm using multiple main windows because of the fact that all new
messages in a folder are marked as unread as soon as one leaves this
folder. So when I'm reading the new messages in my inbox I cannot
quickly switch to another folder to look something up and then switch
back to my inbox because this would cause all not yet read new messages
in my inbox to lose their 'new' status.

> - Would you notice if we removed the support at all ?

Yes, I would notice.

Note, that I do not really need multiple main windows for the above, but
I really want to be able to open several folders at the same time.
Adding folder tabs (with message list and message preview pane) would
be a possible alternative solution for this. Or a separate folder
window (i.e. a main window without the folder list).

Regards,
Ingo