[Kde-pim] Questions / Issues on Akonadi

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 19:33:25 GMT 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:20:58PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
Hej Brad,

> 1. What policies apply to akonadi dependencies? In particular, which parts of
> akonadi are allowed to depend on which parts of KDE?
The Akonadi server shouldn't depend on any KDE specific code, it's
Qt-only currently.
The libakonadi makes use of kdelibs and that's ok.
The agents and resources can have any dependency they want, as they are
separated processes.

> 2. How will Akonadi manage notes / todo items? I haven't seen any more detail
> than "kcal".
Todos are handled by the kcal-resource as it was done in KDE3. For notes
we need a new library to access them.

> 3.  Is RSS / Atom feed management in scope for Akonadi?
Yes, it should be (Frank, can you say more about that topic?).

> 4. How are async notifications of changes (from the server) supposed to be
> handled? What will the application send to akonadi core, and what will
> akonadi core send to the resource?
When the resource gets a async notification from the server, it
adds/deletes/moves the data object in the store. That will signal all
other clients (agents or applications) that something has changed.

> 5. [More general form of item 4] Can I have some documentation on how data
> gets moved around, please?
Hmm, that's a bit tricky to explain ;)

At first the retrieveCollections() is called on the resource, so the
resource should query its data source to build up a logical collection
hierarchy and return it.
Now for every collection retrieveItems() is called on the resource. The
resource returns now all items that belong to that collection.
itemAdded()/itemChanged()/itemRemoved() is called on the resource
whenever an item (that the resource is responsible for) has been added
/changed/removed by an other agent/application in the store. So the
resource shall write back that change to its data source (e.g. the
groupware server).

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!