[Kde-pim] [patch] file:// link in mailreader

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Mar 22 12:59:53 GMT 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008, Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I often get mails from colleagues which include links to file url,
> but the mails are sent in plain text, e.g.
> file://ourServer/some/path/file
>
> I found that kmail does not render them as klickable links in
> linklocator.cpp as the comment says:
> // note: no "file:" for security reasons
>
> Can someone tell me what kind of security reasons there are to not
> have it clickable ?

Links are simply executed with KRun. What if there was an application
which did something bad as soon as it is executed?

OTOH, we show a warning before executing a link (no matter what kind of
link) if the file is an executable. So it doesn't make much sense to
handle file: URLs more strict than http: or ftp: URLs.

> For me it is very inconveniant to not be able to just click on them
> to open the file on our server.
>
> Anybody objections against activating this (patch against 3.5
> attached) ?

I object against applying this patch to KDE 3.5 unless the KDABians want
to apply it to the enterprise branch.

Regards,
Ingo