[Kde-pim] rename for 'Request Disposition Notification' proposal

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Mar 25 10:16:33 GMT 2008

Thomas McGuire said the following, On 2008-03-24 19:53:

> On Friday 21 March 2008, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>> "Options->Request Disposition Notification" comes apparently from a RFC
>> document. How about renaming it to something like:
>>
>> Return Receipt
>>
>> or
>>
>> Request Read Receipt
> Sure, go ahead. I didn't know what "Message Disposition Notification" back
> when I first saw it, either :)

Hmm, in kmail/configuredialog.cpp we have mentioned MDN as generalization of
the Return Receipt concept:

   mReceiptWhatsThis
= i18n( "<qt><h3>Message Disposition Notification Policy</h3>"
              "<p>MDNs are a generalization of what is commonly called <b>read"
               "receipt</b>. The message author requests a disposition "
               "notification to be sent and the receiver's mail program "
               "generates a reply from which the author can learn what "
               "happened to his message. Common disposition types include "
               "(e.g. forwarded).</p>"

[...]

I don't know how it works, e.g. whether e.g. "read" notifivation can be sent
first, and then "forward" notification can be sent many times.

If that could be the case, perhaps even then "read receipt" would be fair name
for end users?

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek