[Kde-pim] kmail - mail message window "rendering weirdness"

Thomas McGuire Thomas.McGuire at gmx.net
Thu Mar 20 08:50:40 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Jørn Fauske wrote:
> I'm sorry if this is a known issue and for the long post. I've tried the
> almig hty google but couldn't find any clues to help me there...
>
> I'm experiencing some "weird" rendering of the mail message window in kmail
> fr om trunk, kdepim revision 783843.
Please update your KMail, that fixes the wordwrap problem :)

> From time to time the current message "locks" on displaying the "initial"
> view of the message.
> Scrolling (both with up/down-keys and using the scollbar) will make the
> messag e scroll _behind_ the initial view only displaying half a line (as
> in horizont ally split) on top and bottom of the message window. This will
> happen to all m essages I try to read after the issue occurs.
>
> I've tried to figure out a way to reproduce it but currently with no luck.
> It seems, to me anyway, to be an issue that only manifests itself randomly
> (re producing the steps of my usual "mail-reading" routine is easy).
>
> The last time this occured was while reading this gpg-signed message to
> this l ist:  http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=120594854222260&w=2.
>
> Part of what makes it a mystery to me is that grabbing a snapshot of the
> scree n (using ksnapshot from Debian supplied KDE 3.5.8) will make the
> resulting png show the message "correctly". E.g. the scrolled to wherever
> the view is suppos ed to be, without the "initial" view of the message
> blocking...
> Could the problem be originating from somewhere else than kmail?
>
> This was a fresh rebuild (of all of the following) after updating my
> working c opy of qt-copy, kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase, kdepimlbs and
> kdepim.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with the codebase (yet) to be able to figure out
> for m yself what is going on here.
> Should I file a bug-report?
> As this is not regarding a release version I thought the mailinglist would
> be best...
> (I'd try to throw in a patch if I just had a clue about where to look and
> how to fix it :-) )

KMail uses KHTML for message rendering. The problem is likely to be there, or
in Qt, X or your graphic driver, but probably not in KMail, since the
snapshot you took is OK.
There are some known issues with strange scrolling artifacts in KDE/Qt in
combination with some X/driver versions/configurations in general, but I
don't know the details.

So I don't know how to solve this. Filing a bug is only useful if you discover
the cause of the problem and in which library the problem is.
I would sit this out or try to change the X config file (disabling compositing
extensions, using the 2D driver instead of the 3D one, ...)

Sorry that I couldn't help more.

Regards,
Thomas