[Kde-pim] For review: Better support of rich text summary/location

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Jun 12 17:19:16 BST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 02:22:48 Thomas Thrainer wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> > - The existing API is frozen, so I don't think we can change the default
> >   values for isRich in setSummary(), setDescription() and setLocation().
> >   maybe you can create some new methods that do things the new way
> >   and KDE_DEPRECATE the current ones?  unfortunately, I don't think
> >   we can overload the new way because the signatures will be the same.
>
> I spend 2 days thinking about this, but don't come to a conclusion. So I
> thought I'm better off asking ;-)
>
> Why would it change the API if I replace one method with 2 parameters, the
> latter has a default value, with 2 methods with the same name, one taking
> one parameter and the other taking 2 parameters? I mean, it's still
> possible to call setX() with one or two parameters.
>
> According to
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C%2B%2B
> these changes would even be binary compatible, altough programs would have
> to be recompiled in order to use the new 1-parameter setX() methods. Not
> recompiled programs would just call the 2-parameter setX() with false as
> second parameter.

Apparently I'm wrong.
Thiago verified that the change would be binary compatible, and you
are also source compatible since you are adding the 1 argument setX() methods.

If you think this is the best solution then I'm fine with the changes you propose.
Just make sure to undo the i18n() string changes and add the @since 4.1
as appropriate.

Thanks for your work,
Allen