[Kde-pim] Store Kaddressbook photos outside of VCF file?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 29 17:08:53 BST 2008

On Sunday 29 June 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Currently, Kaddressbook stores photos in the VCF file, which makes it
> very bloated (300 kB without photos, over 5 MB with photos). Will
> KDE-PIM 4 with Akonadi suffer from this as well? Could someone
> enlighten me as to how photos will be stored? I know that Akonadi is
> a database, and I personally think that it is a bad idea to store
> binary data in a database. Should I file a bug requesting that the
> photos be stored in a folder, and that the database contain only the
> location of the photo?

Akonadi includes a cache, but Akonadi is not a storage. Your contact
data will still be stored in a vcf file (or in whatever storage you
choose). Which data Akonadi stores in the cache is regulated by cache
policies. For a local storage (like a locally stored vcf file) it might
make sense not to store the photos in the cache. For a remote storage
(like a groupware server) this might be different because you might
want to have access to the photos even if you are offline.

Do you have technical reasons why you think storing photos (or other
binary data) in a database is a bad idea?

Regards,
Ingo