[Kde-pim] scriptable resource

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Jun 18 12:31:07 BST 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008 12:08:33 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2008, Igor Trindade Oliveira wrote:
> > Hi Akonadi developers,
> >
> > I am sending this email to ask how you imagine that if you are
> > programming a scriptable resource(using kross) it look likes? for
> > example:
>
> Just to add a bit of context:
>
> One of our ideas regarding the Akonadi test framework is to have a resource
> which exposes some functionality through the Kross bridge to script
> languages.
>
> This is not, at least not at this point, intended to be a generic
> Akonadi "binding", the exposed functionality should be geared towards
> driving test scenarios e.g. simulating most common resource behavior to
> test a client or simulating most common client operations to test another
> resource.

I'm still a bit confused about the term "scriptable resource". It suggests
that you would want to implement a resource in a scripting language instead
of testing a resource using a test script. Maybe that's actually what would
want to do but my impression was that your SoC project was rather the
latter ;-)

For testing clients any resource that implements all operations and can
provide dummy data is fine (there is even a dedicated testing resource
called "Knut" in svn), I don't see the need for scripting here.

However, testing a resource needs quite some customization since most
resources have different capabilities, provide resource-specific attributes,
provide additional operations, etc.. So, that's where scripting makes a lot
of sense IMHO, but not for a resource since testing a resource from another
resource is probably not a good idea.

> So the question is how would you expect to be able to write such scenarios
> (pseudo code style), e.g. which objects do you need, which operations on
> each object is necessary, etc.

One thing I would expect the testing framework to do is to deal with the async
operations for me. Writing fully async code is necessary for clients, but
quite cumbersome and for testing we don't really need that. See my reply to
the "akonadi testing framework" thread for the operations needed for testing
resources.

Another thing that might be useful for testing but is rarely needed in normal
clients is a easy way to convert between remote and local ids. Since
resources work mostly on remote ids you likely need to deal with them as well
during testing.

> We can then, with Sebastian's help (CC'ed), try to design and implement the
> most suitable bridge.

regards
Volker