[Kde-pim] Kde-pim identities

Pier-Olivier Thibault ximaginex at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 18:14:14 BST 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008 13:52:00 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008, Gaffer. wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 July 2008 15:39, Pier-Olivier Thibault wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > While I browsed akonadi's, kmail's and mailody's source code, I
> > > found outr that the identityManager was used to control the
> > > identities throughout the kde-pim applications.
> > >
> > > While IdentityManager does a great job at managing identities, I
> > > think we could use identities on a larger scale where Akonadi
would
> > > probably be more suited for this kind of mission.
>
> No, it is not. Akonadi is no storage. Akonadi is a cache and a protocol
> for accessing PIM-related information. What you want to do is best
done
> with Nepomuk.
In order for Nepomuk to do what it is meant to do, I thought it needed a
PIM framework like Akonadi to store the information...
> > > Identities could be integrated to users more tightly to provide
> > > more featues for the user. I know that right now the identities are
> > > only e-mail's related but I think creating a resource to akonadi
> > > with identities. This way, we could gather more information about
> > > the user.
> >
> > I, and I think many users would be entirely against the collection of
> > information about users for what ever reason !
>
> I think you are misunderstanding. The information gathered by KDE
would
> only be available to the user the information belongs to and it would
> only be used to give you a better user experience.
That's exactly what I mean.
> > > We could gather information about the Wallpapers history, plasma
> > > widget the most used.
>
> How is this related to identities?
Name it the word you want.. It just that in my head an identity is what I
am.. My name, My e-mail addresses, my address, my gender, etc.
> > > The people to which this identity sends the most email to.
>
> This is clearly a task for Nepomuk.
See above. I thought akonadi was the storage for Nepomuk as Nepomuk
is over the internet, Akonadi was a database for PIM that nepomuk would
eventually use to do his bidding.
> > > Integrating it as a resource could give other possibility too. When
> > > you're in KDM switch for user we could have the same function as
> > > WinXP that shows how many e-mails have not been read before
the
> > > user log on, How many contacts are online on his IM protocol he is
> > > using, etc.
>
> I agree with Derrick, that this would be a breach of privacy. This
> information is of no concern for anybody but me and therefore it must
> only be shown to me. FWIW, I hate this WinXP feature.
How's the number of contact online and number of email are a breach of
privacy. Having friends on facebook knowing that you wrote a message
on a wall or you added somebody to your friend list is a far bigger threat
and yet, this is the fastest growing web service on the planet. I don't
wanna be make KDE a new facebook. This is a comparison to show how
your "security breach" is not so much of a problem.

Also, loving or hating a feature is not the point here as we're talking
about 1. possibilities and 2. usefulness.