[Kde-pim] branches/KDE/4.0/kdepimlibs/mailtransport

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jan 26 15:37:29 GMT 2008

On Saturday 26 January 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Saturday 26 January 2008 15:39 schreef u:
> > > AFAIK yes. the config files are not backwards compatible. So
> > > whenever a 4 app changes the config file, a 3 app can break on
> > > that.
> >
> > Unlike some other big distributions, we aren't shipping both KDE 3
> > and 4 versions of the same application in Fedora. This
> > mailtransports.upd issue was the _only_ case we encountered of KDE
> > 4 apps/libs breaking KDE 3 ones.
> >
> > > And in this case it will indeed break. I'm open to other
> > > opinions, but for now I think the commit should be reverted and
> > > be kept at distro level. Because kdepimlibs is released, and
> > > mailtransport can be used by more applications than the
> > > unreleased kdepim. Those applications would like have valid
> > > settings, converted from kmail3.
> >
> > Well, consider that:
> > * kdepim is not available in 4.0, so the latest stable version is
> > 3.5.8; * the latest stable version of KDE is 4.0.0 (soon to be
> > 4.0.1) and requires kdepimlibs;
> > * thus, people using the latest stable versions of everything will
> > be running kdepimlibs 4.0.x and kdepim 3.5.x;
> > * the default KDEHOME directory in the upstream tarballs is ~/.kde
> > for both KDE 3 and 4;
> > * mailtransports.upd breaks the kdepim 3 configuration if run on
> > it; thus, (re)enabling this kconf_update script means breaking the
> > default configuration (again) for users running the latest stable
> > versions.
> >
> > Now if you think this is acceptable, feel free to revert my commit.
> > _Our_ (Fedora's) packages won't be the broken ones. ;-)
>
> You obviously have not read my reply. We are talking about
> kdepimlibs. libs. libs. That means not only kdepim uses it.

IMO, an update script in kdepimlibs should have no effect on the
configuration files of apps in kdepim (or elsewhere).

> So now you might have fixed it for kdepim 3.5.8 users, but broke it
> for kde4 applications using the libs.
>
> The practise is that kdehome is changed to .kde4 in the distro's I
> know and I would not be surprised it will change in kde too.

A possible solution might be to change the script so that the transport
settings are extracted from kmailrc and written to the new config file,
but the transport settings are not removed from kmailrc. This way KMail
from KDE 3 can still use the old transport settings while KMail from
KDE 4 will simply ignore those settings.

FWIW, I think for KDE 4 we should try to keep the configuration files
compatible between all KDE 4.x releases.

Regards,
Ingo