[Kde-pim] branches/KDE/4.0/kdepimlibs/mailtransport

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jan 26 15:12:39 GMT 2008

On Saturday 26 January 2008, Tom Albers wrote:

> You obviously have not read my reply. We are talking about kdepimlibs.
> libs. libs. That means not only kdepim uses it.
>
> So now you might have fixed it for kdepim 3.5.8 users, but broke it for
> kde4 applications using the libs.
>
> The practise is that kdehome is changed to .kde4 in the distro's I know and
> I would not be surprised it will change in kde too.

As far as I know the Debian packagers only use .kde4 for now, i.e. shipping
the KDE 4 development platform as an additional part for their next stable
release Lenny.
I think the plan is to use .kde once they really ship a KDE4 desktop.

Actually I don't think even a temporary change is a good idea, since it will
break for people who have KDEHOME set (unless this part is patched too) and
does not migrate configs or application data (unless KStandardDirs is patched
as well).

Since this has quite some consequences it is not something the distributors
should have to worry about.

Would it be possible to move the update script to the application level?
I.e. users of KDE4 applications using mailtransport getting their configs
modified but not all the others?

Or maybe adding the new config items and keeping the old one, including a hint
that this modification has happend and let the new versions of the programs
detect this?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring