[Kde-pim] branches/KDE/4.0/kdepimlibs/mailtransport

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jan 26 15:04:10 GMT 2008

> The practise is that kdehome is changed to .kde4 in the distro's I know and
> I would not be surprised it will change in kde too.

Fedora 9 will almost certainly ship with .kde (unless KDE upstream suddenly
becomes great at migrating KDE 3 settings to a separate .kde4, and in the 4.0
branch at that and within the next 3 months, or rather the next 1-2 months
because we have freezes too around here, at that). Which will mean that if
KDE changes to .kde4 after that point, we will most likely have to revert
this in our packages (or use some other hack, like symlinking .kde4 to .kde
in startkde).

It's sad that we're being blamed for following upstream settings and that
those settings were never tested properly because most developers are using
distro-specific hacks. (By the way, last I checked, the .kde4 setups in
OpenSUSE and Kubuntu were incomplete compared to my kde4home patch from early
2007, which actually introduced a separate KDE4HOME environment variable, and
which we dropped months ago because it was no longer necessary (as we stopped
supporting parallel installation of applications and did the necessary
testing for config file issues).) It's even sadder when I get told to revert
an obvious bugfix for this setup.

> So now you might have fixed it for kdepim 3.5.8 users, but broke it for kde4
> applications using the libs.

You clearly care more about your own application (Mailody) than about not
breaking the default settings for the majority of users.

As there is no support for migrating an existing .kde to .kde4, users with
a .kde4 setup won't get their KMail 3 settings migrated to kdepimlibs 4
unless they manually copy their .kde anyway.

        Kevin Kofler