[Kde-pim] [patch] Extension of the User-Agent field in KMail messages

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Jan 9 09:25:36 GMT 2008

Ingo Klöcker said the following, On 2008-01-09 00:36:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Previously the value of User-Agent field in KMail was like
>> "KMail/1.9.50". Not bad, assuming it was Linux/Unix.
>>
>> The patch changes that by adding operating system version, KDE
>> version and simple machine info. It's modeled after
>> http://www.mozilla.org/build/revised-user-agent-strings.html, e.g.
>> uses ';' and does not uses spaces within tags.
>>
>> Example: "KMail/1.9.50 (Windows/5.0; KDE/3.97.1; i686)"
>
> FWIW, Thunderbird writes

True, and I have decided to try better if possible :)

>> For Linux the OS info would be like "Linux/2.6.8-2".
>> As you can see I do not care here about "X11" tag, as we know it from
>> web browsers.
>>
>> The information would be usable for our development and to get some
>> light stats.
>
> systemNameVersionAndMachine() does not belong into kmail.
> Konqueror/kio_http/whatever needs exactly the same information for the
> User-Agent header, right? And I'm pretty sure KNode and Mailody would
> also like to use this for their User-Agent header. So this method does
> clearly belong into kdelibs (next to KUser for example; KSystemInfo
> maybe?).

Yes, consider the current location as temporary, before KDE trunk is open.

> For privacy reasons I'd like the level of detail to be configurable just
> as in Konqueror. And, while we are at it, the header should be made
> completely optional.

How about KDE-global "privacy" setting for such things? Perhaps the
fine-grained per-application setting for useragent could be kept away from
GUI-based config dialogs (except for Konqueror).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek