[Kde-pim] [Kde-cvs-announce] KDE 4.0 Release Branch

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jan 6 20:45:41 GMT 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 06 January 2008, Allen Winter wrote:

> > We can also:
> >   add new features
> >   merge stuff from kdab branches
> >   add to our API
> >   move libs into kdepimlibs (eg. libakonadi)
> >   yay!
>
> But we SHOULD ([1]) keep trunk/kdepimlibs and trunk/kdepim compatible
> with branches/KDE/4.0/kdelibs (and kdebase) because developing against
> stable libraries is much easier and is the only option for people who
> do not want to recompile all of KDE everytime they want to spend a
> couple of hours on kdepim.

I agree.
Actually I think we are in a different state than the usual time between two
minor releases since we (KDE PIM) weren't part of 4.0, so IMHO it is more
like having our 4.0 period extended by a few months.

Given that the 4.0 release has been a bit "incomplete" I anticipate that the
target date for 4.1 will be closer than usual, e.g. probably more like 6
months rather then the usual 8-9 months.

Do we have a plan regarding Akonadi?
I mean both as in making it public API as in moving libakonadi to kdepimlibs
and as in porting/replacing the main application's data access layers.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring