[Kde-pim] KDE-PIM Security R&D

Derek Ditch derek.ditch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:22:45 GMT 2008

I subscribed to this list after most of the replies had already been
posted, so the threading may be off.  Anyway, Akonadi and KDE-PIM in
general has a lot of support from my classmates.  The only area where
the case for choosing any KDE-PIM code as our project is weak, is if
we'll actually be able to do any good.  Since much of the code is
pretty new, particularly Akonadi, it's difficult to figure out the
potential for vulnerabilities or security enhancements would be.

Another project we're looking at is Pidgin and libpurple.  Its
developers indicated that a known issue they have is that passwords
are apparently stored in plaintext.  So the class members that choose
to take this up will likely add code to integrate password managment
into KDE Wallet, Gnome Keyring, OS X Keychain, etc.  Is there anything
along those lines that would be a good place to start looking for
vulnerabilities or enhancing code that could make the system more
secure?  I won't limit it to Akonadi, but would like to stay within
KDE-PIM.

Btw, I scanned the Akonadi code base with flawfinder and it only found
38 hits out of the 54,000 lines of code.  However, flawfinder is
geared more towards C api calls like memcpy, strcat, etc.  A couple of
us are also looking into kdepimlibs, which I assume is where much of
the agents for Akonadi do their protocol parsing and such.  I would
think that malformed protocols and RSS feeds would be a good place to
check, but any suggestions anyone could make would be great.

thanks,

Derek