[Kde-pim] [REGRESSION] Pop3 message status change is broken on Enterprise branch

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 27 12:01:29 GMT 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 27 January 2008, Ismail Dönmez wrote:
> > Hi Volker,
> >
> > Thursday 20 December 2007 12:51:49 tarihinde Volker Krause şunları
>
> yazmıştı:
> > > Since apparently only the triggering of the status change
> > > operation is broken and not the actual status changing itself,
> > > the only thing I could think of are the XMLGUI .rc files,
> > > although that would usually hide the action altogether. Also,
> > > there is nothing special for local folders in that area. Do you
> > > still have the old files for comparison?
> >
> > Sorry for the late reply, attached is the problematic kmailrc file.
> > Issue is still reproducable with Enterprise branch according to
> > users.
>
> FWIW, with the very latest enterprise version I have noticed a
> similar problem. It occurs intermittently with messages in IMAP
> folders. Most of the time it's just the last message in a thread that
> cannot be marked as unread. When I mark the whole thread as unread
> then the status of the problematic message is also marked as unread.
> I'll keep an eye on it to make out a pattern.

I have made a quick test trying to mark all messages in a thread as
important. You can see the result of the test in the attached
screenshot.

The only pattern I can make out (also in a few other threads where I
have tested it) is that if a message is affected by the problem then
all of its children are affected as well. The level of a message in the
thread does not seem to be the looked for pattern as one of the
messages on level 2 could be marked as important. OTOH, I have noticed
that the problem is more likely to occur with message on level 2 and
beyond.

> Now that I think about it I have a theory:
> Maybe for some reason KMail sometimes changes the status in the
> KMMessage object, but not in the corresponding KMMsgInfo object (or
> vice-versa?). So this bug might have been introduced by my change
> which prevents crashes due to the former KMMsgInfo object by
> KMMessage object replacement. Now the KMMsgInfo object is no longer
> destroyed, but kept around and re-used when the KMMessage object is
> destroyed. I have warned about possible inconsistencies due to
> changes in the KMMessage object not being applied to the KMMsgInfo
> object. Anyway, it's just a guess. Maybe there's still another
> problem.

The above observation makes my theory very unlikely.

Regards,
Ingo