[Kde-pim] KDEPIM_NEW_DISTRLISTS

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Feb 21 18:55:15 GMT 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2008, Till Adam wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 February 2008 14:42:09 Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > We still have conditional compile code for KDEPIM_NEW_DISTRLISTS
> > > in kdepim trunk.
> > >
> > > Apparently, you need to pass -DKDEPIM_NEW_DISTRLISTS to the
> > > kdepim cmake to get the new distrlist code compiled.
> > >
> > > Should we:
> > > a) keep things as is
> > > b) change the default to use the new way, but keep the old code in place
> > > c) remove the old distrlist code and always use the new way
> > > d) remove the new distrlist code and always use the old way
> > > e) none of the above
> >
> > I thought this had already been changed to only use the new style? I'll
> > check up.
>
> I think the "new" stuff uses special addressees as distributions lists,

Yes. The "composite" pattern, in a word: a distlist is an addressee.

> while the "old" one uses distribution lists as separate data structures.

Yes (and stored them locally, which was the main problem, while using addressees
meant that they would be stored by the resource).

> I updated the "old" parts during some refactoring so that the addressbook or
> rather the resources now handle distributions lists instead of a separate
> distribution list manager.

Hmm, that's another way of achieving the same goal (letting the resources
handle the distribution lists) but without the niceness of the composite pattern;
why did you choose to do that instead of simply enabling the "new" "a distlist is an addressee" code?