[Kde-pim] KDEPIM_NEW_DISTRLISTS

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 21 19:26:52 GMT 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2008, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > I updated the "old" parts during some refactoring so that the addressbook
> > or rather the resources now handle distributions lists instead of a
> > separate distribution list manager.
>
> Hmm, that's another way of achieving the same goal (letting the resources
> handle the distribution lists) but without the niceness of the composite
> pattern; why did you choose to do that instead of simply enabling the "new"
> "a distlist is an addressee" code?

Good question.

I started because I wanted to fix kdepimlibs APIs before release, which at
that point was still targeted for october (at least for "platform").

The so called "new" code looked like some hack needed because of the
limitation of distribution list handling in KDE3's KABC and since nobody
seemed to be interested in moving this into kdepimlibs I concluded that the
workaround wasn't needed any longer if the addressbook/resource could handle
distribution lists properly.

Btw, I think a proper composite pattern would need common base for nodes,
since IMHO it doesn't make any sense to set e.g. the telephone number of a
distribution list.

However, if other like the approach better, they'll just have to change the
implementation of the distribution lists for compatibility, i.e. as basically
a "view" on respective "addressees"

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring