[Kde-pim] KDE PIM 4.1 Plans

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Feb 5 20:55:13 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 16:26:35 Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 February 2008 12:23:10 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > We had a discussion about the plans for KDE PIM in KDE 4.1 at the
> > > Osnabrueck meeting and came up with the following:
> > >
> > > KDE 4.1 will be released in July, feature freeze is end of April.
> >
> > Please don't forget to add your features to the Feature Plan at
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.1_Feature_Plan
> >
> > > The plan for Akonadi is to make KDE PIM 4.1 the Akonadi Platform
> > > release. That means that libakonadi and the required infrastructure is
> > > moved to kdepimlibs, so that third-party applications and resources can
> > > be developed based on Akonadi.
> >
> > Let's plan to make the move to kdepimlibs as soon as possible.
> > Whenever Volker says the time is right.
>
> The plan is to have an Akonadi meeting in early March to review the API of
> the parts we want to move and to ensure they are ready to stay BC. I would
> like to wait with the move until this is done.

We should probably also consider moving the server to kdesupport once we have
Qt 4.4 in qt-copy (neeeded for QLocalSocket so I can replace KLocalSocket and
thus lose its last KDE dependency)

At this time we could also rename the D-Bus interfaces to org.freedesktop.*

NetworkManager shows that it is accepted practice to host a shared
infrastructure service in a desktop project's respository and kdesupport
seems to be OK as a module, e.g. taglib is there and widely used by
applications outside KDE.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring