[Kde-pim] [patch] vcard parser bugfix

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Dec 29 13:31:51 GMT 2008

On Saturday 27 December 2008 23:47:37 Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> working on the kdepim-sync opensync plugin, I found that the vcard
> parsing in KDE is still broken w.r.t. time parsing of the ISO-8601
> spec. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Times ) as it does not
> respect the possibility of the basic format (without the ":" delimiter)
> and the possibility to only have the minutes and seconds optional.
>
> The attached patch tries to fix that, but I could not test it up till
> now as I first wanted to make a standard test for it, but I stumble
> over the tests as they are implemented now.
>
> Can someone tell me how the current tests located in
> kdepimlibs/kabc/vcardparser/tests can be run ?
>
> Still, I already attach the patch here.
>
> Another question I have is regarding KDE4 and PIM itself:
> I'm still running KDE3 and the opensync-plugin I fixed now is still
> using all KDE3 libs (kabc, libkcal).
> Is this supposed to stay in KDE4(.2) this way, or will the libs go away
> in favor of akonadi ?

They will have to stay for the entire KDE4 due to the BC rule. However, the
KResource framework (libkresources and the parts of libkabc/kcal using that)
will be deprecated for 4.3 I guess, in favor for Akonadi. The actual data
objects form kabc/kcal stay the same though. For 4.2 we have the migration
from KResources to Akonadi in place allowing to use both ways already.

> So does it make any sense to make the opensync kdepim plugin also run
> for KDE4 with the current implementation/libs ?

Depends on how much work it is to port it to KDE4 I guess. The KResource stuff
didn't change much after all. In the long run, a real Akonadi plugin makes
more sense (started in kdepim/akonadi/opensync already), to make full use of
the new possibilities, but might be more work to finish.

regards
Volker