[Kde-pim] user css controlled mail appereance... reload.

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 10:04:42 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 23 December 2008 00:42:27 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008 10:23:27 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> > last but not least: demo style (on pretty new custom html support) will
> > need a little love =D
>
> Ok, one big comment at the end:
> I envision this to be in a completely separate library. mostly rewritten.
> This stuff needs to be used by Akregator and KNode as well anyway.
> In my opinion, the current stuff is much too crufty for this. All the CSS
> classes, headerstyle and headerstrategy should be removed and rewritten (or
> copied were appropriate, of course).

I like this plan :)

> The library should provides the following:
>
> API:
> - Getting a menu/selectaction which you can plug into your action
> collection, to select the current style. Bonus points for a small dialog
> that lets you select which header fields to show, regardless of style.
> - Saving/Restoring the current style to/from a config group
> - An interface that each application should implement. That application
> only needs to implement function like from(), photo(), hasPhoto(),
> spamLevel(), spamTooltip() etc that return the data needed by the header
> style library.

This probably doesn't cover everyting we currently do with headers:
- KNode allows you to select which article headers to show, with which label
and in which order.
- KNode has a reference bar instead of the spam indicator, providing links to
previous articles in the same thread
- KMail shows links to attachments in some header styles
- KMail can render headers of nested mails differently than the top-level one

If it wouldn't be for Akregator I would say we just provide a KMime object in
the interface so the style can pull out everything it possibly needs.

> - One function which actually generates and returns the HTML
> (calling the above application-implemented interface during generation to
> get the data).
>
> With this API, it should be easy for application writers to use the style
> library. Did I forget some important API bits here?
> The API should of course be documented, like the rest.

regards
Volker