[Kde-pim] "move all messages to the trash" in context-menu

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Dec 7 15:49:33 GMT 2008

On Sunday 07 December 2008, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In the context-menu of a folder one can find "move all messages to
> the trash". Assuming that only functionality that is used frequently
> should be part of a context-menu in order not to clutter it, I do not
> see why the above became part of it.
>
> It might be a personal (non-)use case, but I never deleted all mails
> in a folder and if so, this could easily be done by CTR+A and DEL or
> maybe even via the normal "folder" menu.
>
> Further the item is one beneath  "mark all messages as read", which I
> (and maybe others) use more frequently. So if I miss the "mark all
> messages as read" by a few pixels I trigger "move to trash" which
> does sound like something to avoid.

This seems to have been changed with KMail 1.10. Here (KMail 1.9) those
two menu entries are separated by three other entries. Also, "move to
trash" has to be acknowledged explicitely, i.e. a "Do you really ..."
message box is shown.

Anyway, AFAIR I only used the corresponding "Empty trash" action that is
used for Trash folders. I don't remember ever using "Move all Messages
to Trash" except for testing the functionality.

> Before I file a useless bug-report and everybody else using "move all
> messages to trash" on a daily basis, I'd like to make sure that my
> train of thought makes some sense.

I'm not sure whether filing a bug report for this makes sense. Since
it's not a serious problem the bug report would probably be ignored or
be put very far down on someone's todo list. It's probably better to
escalate this on the usability mailing list.

Regards,
Ingo